- Had electricity before the United States
- Had running water before the United States
- Had phone cards before the United States
- Their phone system was so sophisticated it was copied by AT&T
- Jamaica has the most "churches" per square mile of any country in the world. Source-Guinness Book of World Records. Over 1,600 "churches" all over Jamaica . That number is growing.
- Jamaica was the 2nd country in the Western world after Britain to construct a railway, even before the United States !
- Jamaica is the first Caribbean Country to gain Independence .
- Jamaica is the first team from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify for the Football (Soccer) World Cup. This was the 1998 championship.
- On his second voyage to the New World in 1494, the tip of the Blue Mountains in Jamaica was the first land sighted by Christopher Columbus.
- Jamaica was the first commercial producer of bananas in the Western Hemisphere .
- Jamaica also was the first country in the world to produce rum on a commercial basis.
- The Manchester Golf Club in Jamaica , establish ed in 1868, is the oldest in the western hemisphere!.
- Apart from the United States , Jamaica has won the most world and Olympic track & field medals.
- Jamaica has more multiple (two or more) live births than anywhere else in the world....all naturally
- Jamaica was the first country to impose economic sanctions against the apartheid regime of South Africa .
- Jamaica was the first Caribbean island to enact legislation, "The Motion Picture Industry (Encouragement) Act" to promote the making of films.
- Jamaica is the first country to sign a Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria grant agreement.
- Jamaica was the first tropical country to enter the IOC Winter Olympics. The bob sleigh team's efforts inspired the film ‘Cool Runnings’.
- Jamaica was the first colony England acquired by conquest. This was in the year 1655 when the Spanish were driven from the island.
- We have the second largest butterfly in the world (The Giant Swallowtail).
- Another of the interesting facts on Jamaica is that it was the first British colonial territory to establish a postal service (in 1688).
- The Jamaican Flag is the ONLY flag in the world, that doesn't share any of the colors of the English or American flags
Tuesday, 13 September 2011
Facts on Jamaica
These facts come from an email I received, so they must be true!